Friday, April 20, 2012


The evolution of technology is amazing.  We have come a long way from listening to eight tracks and record players, using solely desktop computers, and watching black and white televisions.  It seems as if access to all forms of technology is extremely easy in today’s society.  Personally, I have experienced a difference in my preferences and habits when using certain technology.
            At one point in time, your teacher would give you an assignment and you would have to spend all day in the library checking out books in order to conduct research. Adults have always expressed to me that there is no reason not to have flawless paper because generations today have the “world at our fingertips.”  Students today do not have to use the Dewey Decimal System to find articles about a given topic.  They can simply type a few words in Google’s search bar, and in a matter of seconds, thousands of websites pertaining to a specific topic will appear.
            The use of computers, Android Tablets, and iPads has made accessing information easy and convenient.  Usually, information posted on the internet is concise, easy to understand, and short to the point.  Unfortunately, assignments in class are not that feasible. When I am presented with an activity that involves a lot of reading, I automatically become overwhelmed. I quickly scan the assignment and choose relevant and important parts.  This is because my brain has become accustomed to the summaries that are posted on the internet.  only are computers useful for schoolwork, they also keep you updated on current events.  I have set Yahoo as my homepage, so when I launch Google Chrome, today’s articles automatically appear.  I had no idea about the Trayvon Martin Case, or the political campaign race until articles were appearing on Yahoo.  Again, the articles are usually short synopsizes that emphasize the main points.  If I want the full story with details, I watch news broadcasts on television or YouTube.
            Computers have also made accessing music easier.  Until recently, you had to wait until an artist released a CD to obtain it.  Today, there are various websites that supply unreleased music.  CD sales have decreased because most people have turned to burning their own Cds and syncing music to their IPods.   I used to burn my own CDs because they were customized to fit me.  If you didn’t want a certain song on the CD, you had the option to choose a different song to replace it.  IPods have the same concept.  You have the power to choose what goes on it.  With music being downloaded from the internet, consumers have more options, rather than buying the traditional CDs. 
            As for me, the use of technology has made my life simpler.  I can do all my assignments, be updated on the latest news, and be aware of the latest tunes in the comfort of my own room.  I wouldn’t say that using these methods have made me lazy, or oblivious to other ways to completing the same tasks, because I know how to balance.  I know how to find and check out books in the library.  I am educated about navigating through newspapers and magazines.  I can go to a store and effectively search through CD racks to find my desired artists.  I believe people my age only choose to use computers because it has become a natural part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment